birding-aus

Re: crying wolf

To: Andrew Taylor <>
Subject: Re: crying wolf
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 22:14:32 +1000
Dear Andrew,

I really can't see your problem: "locally endangered" presumably means
just that.

Four birds species were described in a report to my local Council by a
fauna consultant as "locally endangered" and specific management actions
were proposed to protect these.

It's too early to say whether these measures will be successful but
public awareness has been raised, habitat has improved and, crucially,
land management practices have been revised. All at a low cost (even a
saving).

Before long I hope children will be able to be shown birds and learn
that they are here because action was taken before it was too late.

Michael Norris
Hampton, Victoria