birding-aus

what to do

Subject: what to do
From: lorne <>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 14:06:36 +0000
Niels said some interesting things re. land clearing. It's a tragedy.

People can do things though...

1. Don't eat meat. Land is mainly cleared for livestock. Animals lose
homes when rainforest and forest is cleared for pasture.
2. Vote for the GREENS. Bob Brown and Ian Cohen know what they're on
about, and they have effective, sensible policies. Don't give Howard the
power to push big business ahead. When a government mines in a WORLD
HERITAGE national park, what sort of role models do we have?!! Land
clearing is then seen as something not to be frowned on.
3. Attend rallies.
4. Write letters to state and federal government and local newspapers.
5. Support the ACF (listen to Peter Garrett), Green Left newspaper, WWF,
The Wilderness Society etc. Give financial donations.
6. Send money to Birds Australia/RAOU for Gluepot Station.

I have adhered to all these points. These are my views and suggestions.
I'm not FORCING my opinions. I realise they may be a bit radical for
some. But when it comes down to it, we are talking about the death of
the future, if the environment/deforestation are ignored.

LORNE.