birding-aus

Regent Honeyeaters and Tree Lucerne

Subject: Regent Honeyeaters and Tree Lucerne
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 14:17:57 +1000
The only records I know of Regent HEs around where I live in SE
Melbourne were of single birds seen feeding on Tree Lucerne in August:
in 1947 and 1953.

Altogether 11 spp. of HE have been recorded locally on the flowers of
this plant (Chamaecytisus proliferus or C.palmensis, which blooms from
late May to early September). They include local rarities, such as
Fuscous HE, and an additional 2 species have been recorded on it near
Castlemaine, Vic.

Tree Lucerne is described in a State government publication as a serious
weed but is still planted extensively in country Victoria (and NSW I
think) for fodder and as a wind break.

So when on your hunts for Regent HEs you see a farmland hedge with a
mass of white pea-like flowers in a shrub (1-5m tall) it might be worth
checking it out.  In my (urban) experience plants which are near to
native bush are more favoured than others but many HEs are also found in
large stands of Tree Lucerne.

Michael Norris
5, Deakin Street, Hampton, Victoria, Australia 3188
roughly 37° 55' S  145° E