birding-aus

Re: Barking owls and deutting

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: Barking owls and deutting
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 06:41:40 +1000
James Davis wrote:

> Colin:
>
>   I would not consider the Kookaburras laugh as a duet although their
> calls seem to be synchronize to our ears in most cases they are not.
> As you point out, chorusing is perhaps a better description.
> Interestingly, each component of a kookaburras call can be used alone by
> individual birds to help mediate aggressive confrontations.

One clear example of duetting that I recall is with Noisy Friarbirds;
one bird starts the song, and the second bird joins in after the first
"phrase" singing synchronously with the first bird.  This is easy to pick
in the simple, "tuneful" song they use, but I think many bird songs are
simply too rapid or complex for the human ear to unravel.

Paul Taylor                                 Veni, vidi, tici -
                       I came, I saw, I ticked.