birding-aus

Re: Magpie-larks duetting

To: Philip A Veerman <>
Subject: Re: Magpie-larks duetting
From: James Davis <>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 22:23:09 +1000 (EST)
Philip:

   You have raised some interesting questions that I hestitate to address
because I am still uncertain where to draw the line.  As you mentioned
timing of each bird's singing-performances may prove useful in identifying
duetting, e.g. Eastern Whipbird.  With regard to the Australian Magpie I
lean towards not using it as an example of dueting, but instead an example
of carroling - any number of birds in a magpie group will sing together.
By definition, duetting seems to be limited to one male and one female
that are paired. However, if a female is capable of singing this doesn't
necessary mean that she needs to join her mate in a duet.  There are many
Australian birds in which the female sings but don't participate in
duets (e.g. fairy-wrens).

Cheers, Jim

Dr. Wm. James Davis, Editor
Interpretive Birding Bulletin