birding-aus

Re: Knots

To: Macaw <>
Subject: Re: Knots
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 16:26:01 +1000
G'day Macaw,
With regard to your recent sighting, could you give your geographic
location? Whatever the bird in question I doubt that it was a Great Knot
unless you live close to saltwater habitat (most of this species will
currently be breeding in Siberia, although a few remain thru our winter)
Have you considered a rail of some species? Buff-banded, Lewin's or even
Chestnut (if you live in Northern Australia!) They occasionally fly into
trees. Whimbrel can occasionally be seen in mangroves on places such as
Green island near Cairns (although again most of these should be breeding in
East Asia at present)
Hope that gives you some ideas, let us know what conclusions you draw from
your enquiries!
Regards,
Tom and Marie Tarrant
Dayboro, Qld