birding-aus

Re: Redtails and White Cedar

Subject: Re: Redtails and White Cedar
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 17:50:40 +1000
Colin Dollery wrote:

> The pub at Thargomindah SWQ, used to have large white cedar trees ..
> ....  Unfortunately the trees were removed and it is now rare for the >
> Red-tails to venture into the town.

Maybe "unfortunately" is the wrong word. If we all attempted to get land
managers interested in important plants and the birds that use them this
sort of thing would happen less.

I know it's a chore and sometimes unpleasant. But that's minor compared
with the dismay you feel when suddenly they've gone and you know you
could at least have tried to do something about it.  And talking to
people can be rewarding if they start to take pleasure and pride in what
they've got on their land.

I'm not having a go at Colin - just using this instance to preach.

Must get on to that kiosk owner about using the blue wrens as a selling
point, the golf driving range about mulching and bronzewings, a golf
course about tree lucerne management .....

Michael Norris
Hampton, Victoria
roughly 37° 55' S  145° E