birding-aus

Grass Owl, Coollola NP

Subject: Grass Owl, Coollola NP
From: Niels Poul Dreyer <>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 08:11:34 +1000 (EST)
Hi folks

Yesterday, Saturday 27 June at dusk I was very fortunate to see a Grass Owl.
I have tried 4 times so far, but this time I took my taperecorder. The best
way is to sit low in the middle of the heath and play the tape just after
sunset when the ground parrots start calling. The owl came right up close
and looked at us about 5 metres above the ground with its huge feet and legs
dangling behind. It took a circle around in the spotlight before continuing
across the heath meadow. The site is along the powerlines to the pumpstation
turnoff  from Cooloola Road (4WD track) which is 3 km soth of Rainbow Beach
Highway. You can get there with a normal car.
Additionally, I got an opportunity to see 2 Pacific Humback Dolphins at Tin
Can Bay boatramp where the girls stood in the water to feed the dolphins. It
is still 22 degrees during the day, water is 19 degrees.  This in however
against the Department of Environment's policy which states that wild
animals should not be feed by tourists!

2 liferes in one day, that is fine to me!

Regards from Niels
Niels Poul Dreyer
10/35-37 Denman Camp Road
Scarness, Qld 4655