birding-aus

Re: Breeding raptors

To: Niels Poul Dreyer <>
Subject: Re: Breeding raptors
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:11:25 +1000 (EST)
Niels -

At 18:21 23/06/1998 +1000, you wrote:
>I would like to know about a Nationwide formal breeding program of raptors
>especially those listed as threatened under various state legislation. Could
>anybody please let me know about those programs.

There is no national or nationwide formal breeding program of raptors in
Australia.  There is somed small-scale and ad hoc breeding of raptors in
some zoos and wildlife parks, and occasionally of birds being rehabilitated
by wildlife rescue organisations.  These do not usually involve nationally
threatened species and probably do very little for the conservation of the
species or subspecies concerned.

It would be interesting to hear of your source of information about a
nationwide breeding program.  A persistent myth among the lunatic fringe of
the pigeon fancying community is a classic conspiracy theory that the CSIRO
or "Canberra" or just "They" are systematically breeding raptors (usually
Peregrines) in huge numbers for release into the wild, where they are
devastating native (these folk often do not believe Peregrines are native)
birdlife.

Raptor conservation is usually best served by habitat protection, threat
minimisation, research and public education (which is where displays of
captive birds - often under rehab -  may help).  If you would like further
information about raptor conservation programs in Australia I can send you
material about our Bird of Prey Watch survey project, the Threatened Bird
Network and the Australasian Raptor Association.

Regards,  Hugo.

Hugo Phillipps,
Birds Australia Conservation & Liaison,
Australian Bird Research Centre,
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East, VIC 3123, Australia.
Tel: (03) 9882 2622. Fax: (03) 9882 2677.
O/s: +61 3 9882 2622. Fax: +61 3 9882 2677.
Email: <>
Web Homepage: http://www.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus/