birding-aus

Trip report:Brisbane,Lamington

Subject: Trip report:Brisbane,Lamington
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:51:35 +1000
Hi everyone,
thanks to all who replied to my request for information on Brisbane mangrove
areas and Lamington NP a couple of weeks
ago.  I spent a couple of days working where I was lucky enough to meet some
other Birding-aus subscribers and also see
the resisent Queensland Uni Bush Stonecurlews.  On the Saturday I had about
three hours to kill waiting for my family to
arrive at the airport and spent it at the mangrove boardwalk at Wynnum and was
very impressed by the spot.  The morning
was clear and warm and the birds were very vocal.  The Collared Kingfishers
were very evident with the first one being
seen out on the mudflats with the Godwits and Curlews.  In the Mangroves both
White-throated and Mangrove Gerygone were
conspicuous by there calls and got good views of both.  Also of interest here
was Scarlet Honeyeater, Mistletoebird and
a single Shining Bronze-Cuckoo (do some regularly overwinter here?).  I then
moved on to Lota and saw a single Mangrove
Honeyeater and again a number of Mangrove Gerygone.  Also here I was lucky
enough to have a Collared Kingfisher and a
Sacred Kinfisher almost on the same branch where I could get a very good
comparison of the two.
On the Monday we drove up to Lamington where we stayed for two nights.
Lamington was a little quiet but got great views
of Logrunner which were very common aroung the Lodge.  The Regent and Satin
Bowerbirds are also very common and very
obliging especially if you have some sultanas early in the morning.  We also
saw a single Albert's Lyrebird but heard
many more calling through the rainforest.  Not many pigeons around at this time
of year but we did see Wonga Pigeon,
Brown Cuckoo-dove and Topknot Pigeon.  Fairly complete lists for each area
follow.

Best Wishes
John Boyce

Brisbane area list