birding-aus

Re: Feral populations

Subject: Re: Feral populations
From: (J.D. & H.J. Duigan)
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 17:23:14 GMT+1000
Dear All,

This posting is rather behind the eight ball, but I have been following with
interest the recent discussion, as well as some of the archival material,
re: the feral populations of introduced birds.
It seems to be generally accepted that the Common Pheasant is established on
Rottnest Island but no mention has been made of the populations on both King
and Flinders Islands.  In fact, in addition to the Common Pheasant, Flinders
Island has well established feral populations of the Common Turkey, Peafowl
and more recently Feral Chickens.
I noted that the 1984 edition of the RAOU Bird Atlas lists the Pheasant and
Peafowl for the Furneaux Group while my 1986 edition of Simpson and Day
records the Turkey as well but not the Feral Chicken.
On a different note, I was amazed to observe a Willy Wagtail sitting happily
on a fence near our house yesterday.  It is the first time I have seen
this species in the 24 years we have lived on the Island.  Bob Green quotes a
few single sightings of this bird in Northern Tasmania and on King and
Flinders Islands, but it would appear to be fairly rare.

Helen Duigan,
Emita,
Flinders Island,
Tas., 7255.