birding-aus

HAWKESBURY AREA - 6 & 8TH JUNE 1998

To: "" <>
Subject: HAWKESBURY AREA - 6 & 8TH JUNE 1998
From: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 08:21:47 +1000
HAWKESBURY AREA - 6 & 8TH JUNE 1998

My highlights for the day were:

a) PITT TOWN LAGOON

*       2 Australasian (Brown) Bitterns (Bunyips), out in the open but close
to the reeds. I got unbelievable close to one (within 30 metres) and could
see its beautiful cryptic plumage clear through the scope. I observed it
stalking for prey, preening itself, yawning and in various frozen postures
(including its typical upright stance with neck stretched out and inflated
with bill pointing skyward front on). I observed one of the 2 bitterns for
atleast 15 minutes and saw the other one briefly on the ground before taking
off into its very slow direct flight. (I also flushed another within 3
metres yesterday beside the viewing mound)

*       Various raptors such as Brown Falcon, Whistling Kite, Kestrels,
Black-shouldered Kites and Swamp Harriers.

- Atleast 6 Reed Warblers which seem to be overwintering

b) MITCHELL PARK (Cattai)

*       One Powerful Owl roosting during the day in one of its regular
roosting trees

*       an Azure Kingfisher inside a secluded channel

*       Atleast 6 Rufous Night Herons flushed beside Cattai Creek

c) BUSHELLS LAGOON (Wilberforce)

*       10 Pink-eared Ducks (3 of these beautiful ducks were seen chasing
each other and a pair was giving some sort of courtship/threatening
display).

*       Atleast 20 Hardheads seen

d) LONDONDERRY (Cnr of Londonderry and Carrington Roads)

*       No less than 40 Swift Parrots and 30 Little Lorikeets were seen in
this area attracted to the flowering Mugga Ironbarks (which may bee still in
flower over the next few weeks). A Peregrine Falcon was harassing the Swift
Parrots yesterday. A Brown Goshawk was also nearby.

3) CASTLEREAGH NR

- Saw 6-8 Regent Honeyeaters along tracks 27 and 29 (Birds appeared to be
less vocal and aggressive than previously). A Little Eagle was soaring above
the site for quite some time.

Edwin Vella