birding-aus

A complete wire nest

Subject: A complete wire nest
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 21:47:15 PDT
A few weeks ago a Mango tree lopper delivered to my place a nest
constructed completely of wire. I have taken the dimensions and some
photos for the Nest Record Scheme.
The nest was one of two located on the day in the Mount Dangar area to
the west of Bowen in Queensland from a Mango tree that was pruned back.
The second nest was destroyed but was of similar size.
The size would be similar to a Torresian Crow nest and is constucted
from different gauge wire of differing lengths, insulated wire (blue), a
section of barbed wire and some synthetic rope. Much of the contents
have a twist and loop in the wire as if they are offcuts of a packaging
process. The nest was received complete with branch and has certainly
astounded some of my friends who have never seen anything like it in
their life.
Details will be posted to Birds Australia, I am unable to scan the
photo's as I use the local Library computer after fighting off all the
backpackers that have hogged the system over the last few weeks.
Jon Wren.