birding-aus

Re: RFI Singapore

Subject: Re: RFI Singapore
From: Stephen Greenfield & Kit Hansen <>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 12:36:29 -0500
At 03:53 PM 5/25/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm planning a 2-day stopover in Singapore on my way back from China in
>August.  Any information on birding spots, field guides and reasonable
>accommodation would be most welcome...

I believe the major birding spots are the forest remnant in the center of
the island that is protected for water catchment (Bukit Timah) and the
mangrove reserve at Sungei Buloh.  (I had one day birding there last month
and went to the latter.)  There are also a couple of minor mangrove and
marshy and beach areas mentioned in the book "A Photographic Guide to the
Birds of Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore" by Strange and Jeyarajasingam
[ISBN 981 00 32900].  For a field guide, I just have King et al.'s SE Asia
guide, whch is old but more than adequate.  I believe there are other books
about Singapore that you can buy in the Singapore airport (what CAN'T you
buy in the Singapore airport??)

For Sungei Buloh, take the MRT to Kranji (N18) and then the TIBS bus 925.
Unfortunately, it only stops at the reserve entrance on Sundays and
holidays, other days "alight at the Kranjo carpark." (I don't know how far
that is.)  Fo Bukit Timah, the "city guide" says to take the TIBS bus 171
or 182 from the Newton MRT stop (N4) to the BT National Park.  But there is
more forest across the highway between the reservoirs.  It might be worth
taking a cab (the only thing that's cheap in Singapore).

I'll forward your request to a birder I met there.  There's a professional
guide, R. Subaraj (Bk 127, Tampines St. 11, #09-444, Singapore 1852;
+65-787-7048, FAX - 4733).

Write me directly if you need more info.  Good luck,

Stephen Greenfield
(P.S.  We were both on the famous 27 Oct 96 pelagic.)

Minneapolis USA

+1-612-825-6202