birding-aus

Help save two birds from extinction!

Subject: Help save two birds from extinction!
From: "Chris Gladwin" <>
Date: 25 May 1998 09:52:09 EST

     This may read like a chain letter but I have received this request
     from a very desperate Paul Coopmans - a neotropical bird expert - who
     asked me to post this to Birding-Aus.  It explains a last effort to
     save two rare species from extinction unless some action is taken -
     and askd for our help.

     Regards,

     Chris Gladwin
     Sydney, Australia

     Late last year two Brazilian ornithologists, Marcos Bornschein and Bianca
     Reinert, discovered a new bird near the city of Curitiba, state of Parana,
     in Brazil. However, the bird is already in danger of extinction. Please
     find the original letter of appeal sent by the ornithologists, with
     detailed explanations, later in this e-mail.

     The ornithologists and we all need your help to save this new bird by
     sending the letter below to the appropriate authorities in Brazil (see the
     E-mail addresses with a model letter below).

     Also, please forward it to all your friends and other organisations, post
     it to mailing lists, publish it in your web page or in the communications
     media of your organisation.

     We really appreciate your help!

     Dimas Pioli
     Brazil, Minas Gerais, Uberlandia
     Electronic Engineer - Birdwatcher
     VIP - Language School
     Member of COA - Clube dos Observadores de Aves (association of birdwatchers
     of Brazil)

     ORIGINAL LETTER OF APPEAL
     DO NOT SEND THIS TO THE AUTHORITIES:
     OPEN LETTER

     Subject: New species of bird discovered in Brazil is in danger of
     extinction and needs your help.

     Dear Friend,

     We, Marcos Bornschein and Bianca Reinert, Brazilian biologists, are
     currently working in our Master Degree in Nature Conservation and we have
     been independent researchers in ornithology for 10 years. We have already
     developed several research projects, published several scientific papers in
     national and international magazines and we have discovered two new species
     of birds, unknown to science, in the marshes of the State of Parana, south
     of Brazil.

     The first was the "Bicudinho-do-brejo", Marsh Antwren (Stymphalornis
     acutirostris) that it is not just a new species, but also a new genus, that
     we discovered in 1995 on the coast of Parana. The second is the
     "Macuquinho-da-v=E1rzea", Wet Tall-grass Tapaculo (Scytalopus sp. nov.),
     whose scientific description will be published in July of this year, in the
     magazine of the Brazilian Society of Ornithology. This species was
     discovered in the surroundings of Curitiba, capital of Paran=E1, where it
     lives in wet tall-grass meadows.

     We found the Wet Tall-grass Tapaculo in only 3
     areas that don't add to 10 hectares altogether. In two of these areas, the
     new species is very rare because of the high level of degeneration of the
     environment. These places are being filled to allow human occupation and
     shortly will completely disappear. In the other area the species is
     abundant, but this place will also disappear. The area will be flooded,
     this year yet, by a dam that a government company (SANEPAR) is building to
     increase the water supply for Curitiba.

     From the beginning of the occupation of Curitiba, the marshes of the area
     have been strongly affected. Many neighbourhoods of the city were built on
     this environment. Now, the few areas that remain continue to be destroyed
     by the extraction of sand of the underground, by bulldozing / filling for
     new development, by fire, etc.. In the next years the government will build
     3 more dams in the surroundings of Curitiba, that will also flood marshes.
     Because of this situation, we believe that the Wet Tall-grass Tapaculo is
     under serious risks of extinction.

     We began a campaign to bring to the attention of the authorities the
     importance of the discovery of this new species and to request that urgent
     measures are taken to preserve it. Unhappily we didn't get any concrete
     response that really helps in the protection of the Wet Tall-grass
     Tapaculo.

     Since the authorities are not concerned with the future of the new species,
     we ask your help. We need that you, individual or organisation, send the
     letter below to the appropriate authorities. This help is essential.
     Without it the authorities won't know that it is important to conserve a
     species recently discovered. Also, they won't know all the negative
     repercussions in the whole world if nothing is done. We would also like to
     count on your help to spread this information to friends / organisations
     and to ask their support.

     Thank you so much,

     Marcos R. Bornschein & Bianca L. Reinert

     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE LETTER:

     Please send your e-mail to all the following addresses:

     (Respectively: governor of the state of Parana, president of water supply
     company of Parana, environmental institute of Parana, secretary of this
     campaign)

     Please use the subject: Newly found bird species under the threat of
     extinction

     You may use the following content for your letter, or one of your own:

     Your Excellence Mr. Jaime Lerner
     Governor of Parana

     Mr. Carlos Afonso Teixeira de Freitas President of SANEPAR
     (The Water Supply Company of Parana)
     Mr. Jos=E9 Ant=F4nio Andreguetto
     President of IAP
     (The Environmental Institute of Parana)
     Dear Sirs.:

     Through the communication media, we learned about the recent discovery of a
     new bird species, not yet classified by science, found by researchers only
     in the surroundings of Curitiba. This bird is the Wet Tall- grass Tapaculo
     ("Macuquinho-da-varzea"), a small bird that lives exclusively in the
     marshes. It is also of our knowledge that this bird is in serious danger of
     extinction because its environment will be flooded, this year yet, by the
     dam of Irai, that SANEPAR is building to increase the water supply
     for Curitiba.

     Aware of your concern about the environment, we trust that you won't
     measure efforts to preserve this new species, allowing it to be better
     studied before the area is flooded by the dam and creating conservation
     units to protect it.

     The discovery of this new species is a fact of extreme importance and the
     news about it are been globally publicized. Therefore, we sincerely hope
     never to hear that Parana became the first Brazilian State to be
     responsible for the extinction of a bird.

     Certain that we can count on your emergencial help, we thank you in
     advance,

     (replace this with your name)
     (replace this with your country, state/province, city) (replace this with
     your profession - optional) (replace this with your institution or company
     - optional)