birding-aus

URGENT HELP NEEDED FOR NEW SPECIES

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: URGENT HELP NEEDED FOR NEW SPECIES
From: "Tony Clarke" <>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 23:58:31 +0100
Hi all,

Please respond to the following request for help as if this one goes then
what hope for others!! If everyone on this mailing list takes the couple of
minutes needed to send an extra message we will all have done what we can
to help save a species from extinction. How would you feel if the worst
happened and you hadn't bothered to join this campaign??????????????????

Subject: Help: newly found bird becoming extinct !

(Para ler em português, por favor veja mais abaixo,
após a linha de "*")

Dear Friend,

Late last year two Brazilian ornithologists, Marcos
Bornschein and Bianca Reinert, discovered a new
bird near the city of Curitiba, state of Parana, in
Brazil. However, the bird is already in danger of
extinction. Please find the original letter of appeal
sent by the ornithologists, with detailed explanations,
later in this e-mail.

The ornithologists and we all need your help to save
this new bird by sending the letter below to the
appropriate authorities in Brazil (see the addresses
with the letter model below).

Also, please forward it to all your friends and other
organizations that you know, post it to mailing lists,
publish it in your web page or in the communications
media of your organization.

We really appreciate your help!

Dimas Pioli

Brazil, Minas Gerais, Uberlandia
Electronic Engineer ? Birdwatcher
VIP - Language School
Member of COA - Clube dos Observadores de Aves
(association of birdwatchers of Brazil)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE LETTER:

Please send your e-mail to all the following
addresses:

(Respectively: governor of the state of Parana,
president of water supply company of Parana,
environmental institute of Parana, secretary of this
campaign)

Please use the subject: Newly found bird species
under the threat of extinction

You may use the following content for your letter, or
one of your own:
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Your Excellence Mr. Jaime Lerner
Governor of Parana

Mr. Carlos Afonso Teixeira de Freitas
President of SANEPAR
(The Water Supply Company of Parana)

Mr. José Antônio Andreguetto
President of IAP
(The Environmental Institute of Parana)

Dear Sirs.:

Through the communication media, we learned about
the recent discovery of a new bird species, not yet
classified by science, found by researchers only in the
surroundings of Curitiba. This bird is the Wet Tall-
grass Tapaculo ("Macuquinho-da-varzea"), a small
bird that lives exclusively in the marshes.

It is also of our knowledge that this bird is in serious
danger of extinction because its environment will be
flooded, this year yet, by the dam of Irai, that
SANEPAR is building to increase the water supply
for Curitiba.

Aware of your concern about the environment, we
trust that you won't measure efforts to preserve this
new species, allowing it to be better studied before
the area is flooded by the dam and creating
conservation units to protect it.

The discovery of this new species is a fact of extreme
importance and the news about it are been globally
publicized. Therefore, we sincerely hope never to
hear that Parana became the first Brazilian State to be
responsible for the extinction of a bird.

Certain that we can count on your emergencial help,
we thank you in advance,

(replace this with your name)
(replace this with your country, state/province, city)
(replace this with your profession - optional)
(replace this with your institution or company -
optional)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

ORIGINAL LETTER OF APPEAL
DO NOT SEND THIS TO THE AUTHORITIES:

> [...]
>been independent researchers in ornithology for 10
>years. We have already developed several research
>projects, published several scientific papers in
>national and international magazines and we have
>discovered two new species of birds, unknown to
>science, in the marshes of the State of Parana, south
>of Brazil.
>
>The first was the "Bicudinho-do-brejo", Marsh
>Antwren (Stymphalornis acutirostris) that it is not
>just a new species, but also a new genus, that we
>discovered in 1995 on the coast of Parana. The
>second is the "Macuquinho-da-várzea", Wet Tall-
>grass Tapaculo (Scytalopus sp. nov.), whose
>scientific description will be published in July of this
>year, in the magazine of the Brazilian Society of
>Ornithology. This species was discovered in the
>surroundings of Curitiba, capital of Paraná, where it
>lives in wet tall-grass meadows.
>
>We found the Wet Tall-grass Tapaculo in only 3
>areas that don't add to 10 hectares altogether. In two
>of these areas, the new species is very rare because
>of the high level of degeneration of the environment.
>These places are being filled to allow human
>occupation and shortly will completely disappear. In
>the other area the species is abundant, but this place
>will also disappear. The area will be flooded, this
>year yet, by a dam that a government company
>(SANEPAR) is building to increase the water supply
>for Curitiba.
>
>From the beginning of the occupation of Curitiba,
>the marshes of the area have been strongly affected.
>Many neighborhoods of the city were built on this
>environment. Now, the few areas that remain
>continue to be destroyed by the extraction of sand of
>the underground, by bulldozing / filling for new
>development, by fire, etc.. In the next years the
>government will build 3 more dams in the
>surroundings of Curitiba, that will also flood
>marshes. Because of this situation, we believe that
>the Wet Tall-grass Tapaculo is under serious risks of
>extinction.
>
>We began a campaign to bring to the attention of the
>authorities the importance of the discovery of this
>new species and to request that urgent measures are
>taken to preserve it. Unhappily we didn't get any
>concrete response that really helps in the protection
>of the Wet Tall-grass Tapaculo.
>
>Since the authorities are not concerned with the
>future of the new species, we ask your help. We need
>that you, individual or organization, send the letter
>below to the appropriate authorities. This help is
>essential. Without it the authorities won't know that
>it is important to conserve a species recently
>discovered. Also, they won't know all the negative
>repercussions in the whole world if nothing is done.
>We would also like to count on your help to spread
>this information to friends / organizations and to ask
>their support.
>

>Thank you so much,
>

>Marcos R. Bornschein & Bianca L. Reinert

PORTUGUESE VERSION:

Prezado Amigo,

No final do último ano dois ornitologistas brasileiros,
Marcos Bornschein e Bianca Reinert, descobriram
um novo pássaro perto da cidade de Curitiba, estado
do Paraná, no Brasil. Entretanto, o pássaro já está
ameaçado de extinção. Por favor, veja abaixo a carta-
apelo original, com explicações detalhadas, enviada
pelos ornitologistas.

Os ornitologistas e todos nós precisamos da sua ajuda
p/ salvar essa espécie da extinção. Por favor envie a
carta abaixo para as autoridades competentes
indicadas.

Também, por favor passe adiante este apelo, para
todos os seus amigos, organizações que conhecer,
publique-o na sua página da web ou nos meios de
comunicação da sua organização.

A sua ajuda é inestimável!

Dimas Pioli

Brasil, Minas Gerais, Uberlândia
Engenheiro Eletrônico ? Observador de Aves
VIP ? Language School
Membro do COA ? Clube dos Observadores de Aves

INSTRUÇÕES P/ A CARTA:

Por favor envie o seu e-mail p/ todos os seguintes endereços:

(Respectivamente, governador do estado do Paraná,
presidente da companhia de água do estado do
Paraná, presidente do Instituto Ambiental do Paraná,
secretário desta campanha)

Por favor use o assunto ("subject"): Ave recém-
descoberta ameaçada de extinção

Por favor use o seguinte conteúdo p/ a carta (ou outro
que julgar mais adequado):
 = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Exmo. Sr. Jaime Lerner
M.D. Governador do Paraná

Ilmo. Sr. Carlos Afonso Teixeira de Freitas
M.D. Presidente da Companhia de Saneamento
Básico do Paraná - SANEPAR

Ilmo. Sr. José Antônio Andreguetto
M.D. Presidente do IAP - Instituto Ambiental do
Paraná

Prezado Srs.:

Através dos meios de comunicação, soubemos da
recente descoberta de uma nova espécie de ave, ainda
não catalogada pela ciência, encontrada por
pesquisadores apenas nos arredores de Curitiba. Esta
ave é o Macuquinho-da-várzea, um pequeno pássaro
que vive exclusivamente nos brejos de várzeas.

Também é de nosso conhecimento que esta ave, mal
descoberta, corre sérios riscos de extinção porque o
seu ambiente será alagado, ainda este ano, pela
Barragem do Iraí, que a SANEPAR está construindo
para melhorar o abastecimento de água de Curitiba.

Sabendo da preocupação dos senhores com o meio
ambiente, confiamos que não pouparão esforços para
proteger esta nova espécie, permitindo que sejam
desenvolvidos estudos com ela antes da área ser
alagada pela barragem e criando unidades de
conservação para abrigá-la.

A descoberta desta espécie nova é fato de extrema
importância e notícia divulgada mundialmente.
Todavia, esperamos sinceramente que nunca
venhamos ouvir que o Paraná tornou-se o primeiro
estado brasileiro a ser responsável pela extinção de
uma ave.

Certos de podermos contar com a sua emergencial
ajuda, despedimo-nos agradecidos,

Coloque aqui:
- seu nome
- sua cidade/seu estado
- profissão (opcional)
- nome da sua instituição ou empresa (opcional)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

CARTA APELO ORIGINAL
NÃO ENVIAR P/ AS AUTORIDADES:

Tony Clarke,
CANARIAN NATURE TOURS,