birding-aus

Hooded Plover on Bribie Island

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Hooded Plover on Bribie Island
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 17:48:41 +1000
To the best of my knowledge this is a first.

Don Cameron, ranger with NPWS, Bribie Island,(South-east Queensland) saw
the bird on the beach side of the island on Tuesday and Wednesday, May 19 &
20. He photographed it yesterday, and called me last night to come and help
him identify it. His detailed description made me put my money on an
immature Hooded Plover, except that it shouldn't be so far north. Neither
of us has much experience of Hooded Plovers, and we were, to say the least,
hazy on immatures.

We failed to find the bird today, and so I dipped out. But I had Don's roll
of film in my pocket, and took it for developing this afternoon. It's a
Hooded Plover - immature.

Bribie turns up some odd birds, and this occurrence ties in with some
rather heavy weather along the NSW coastline in recent days.

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
(07) 5494 0994