birding-aus

This week in Geelong

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: This week in Geelong
From: "Richard Dilena" <>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 23:42:13 +1000
Hello all

yesterday, Grant Baverstock and myself visited Edwards Point State Reserve, St Leonards (on the Bellarine Peninsula), Victoria.
Although the day was rather grey, some interesting observations were mad.

Hoary-headed Grebe 12
Little Pied Cormorant 50
Australian Pelican 3
Black Swan 15
Australian Shelduck 2
Chestnut Teal 6
Pacific Black Duck 2
White-faced Heron 60
Australian White Ibis 35
Royal Spoonbill 25
Swamp Harrier 1
Eastern Curlew 1
Common Greenshank 4
Ruddy Turnstone 30
Red Knot 5
Sanderling 4
Red-necked Stint 6
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper 2
Curlew Sandpiper 3
Pied Oystercatcher 2
Sooty Oystercatcher 1
Red-capped Plover 6
Lesser Sand Plover 4
Masked Lapwing 2
Pacific Gull 7
Silver Gull +100
Crested Tern 1
Little Tern 1
Spotted Turtle-Dove 1
Orange-bellied Parrot 1
Superb Fairy-wren 25
White-browed Scrubwren 50
Striated Fieldwren 9
Brown Thornbill 20
Singing Honeyeater 1
New Holland Honeyeater 5
Tawny-crowned Honeyeater 1
Eastern Spinebill 2
Golden Whistler 2
Willie Wagtail 5
Silvereye 1
Skylark 8
Australasian Pipit 6
Mistletoebird 50
European Goldfinch 4

The OBP was a BIG find, lifer for me, and had us both checking our Bird Song tapes just to make sure when we got home. The waders had coloured up beautifally, especially the Red Knots.

Cheers
Richard Dilena
Ocean Grove
Victoria, Australia