birding-aus

Re: snippet

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: Re: snippet
From: James Davis <>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 18:01:08 +1000 (EST)
John:  I had a similar experience in that I was pull over by military
police in Panama when Noriega and the US were not very friendly to each
other.  In any event, they wanted to throw me in jail for some made-up
traffic charge (I doing field work in the country), but I discovered
one of the cops liked birds so I struck up a conversation. By the end of
the day, he managed to get me out of the police compound and recovered my
truck before it was expounded.   In latin american countries, it pays to
be nice and know a lot about the animal life - the people can talk hours
about what they have seen, etc. (there are a lot of made-up stories, but
to them it is pure entertainment, but never,never talk about politics)

Cheers, Jim

Dr. Wm. James Davis, Editor
Interpretive Birding Bulletin