birding-aus

Scaly-breasts and Musks

Subject: Scaly-breasts and Musks
From: (Andy Burton)
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 14:38:59 +1000
Hi everybody,

        Scaly-breasted and Musk Lorikeets continue to be seen in small
numbers around the lower north shore of Sydney. Yesterday I saw about 10
Musks flying through suburban Artarmon.
        This morning while doing a survey in remnant sandstone bush next to
the Lane Cove River, about 3 km west of Artarmon station, I found two
Scaly-breasts, roosting in a Sydney Peppermint (Eucalyptus piperita). There
was no apparent eucalypt flowering nearby.

        It is also interesting to see the report of Little Lorikeets just
south of Sydney Harbour in Centennial Park (per Birdline NSW)

        Are there any more reports of these species in the area, either
current or historical.

        While doing the above survey in Mowbray Park I also saw a group of
Striated Thornbills and 1-2 Mistletoebirds. Whilst both these species are
generally very common they are quite unusual in this immediate area; the
pressures of suburbia.

regards, Andy

Andy Burton
Andy Burton's Bush Tours