birding-aus

Re: Short-tailed Shearwaters & Antarctica

Subject: Re: Short-tailed Shearwaters & Antarctica
From: Niels Poul Dreyer <>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 16:49:57 +1000 (EST)
Hi Frank & Folks

I went to Subantartic trip in January 1998 with Hertitage Expeditions. We
saw a huge flock more than +1000 birds just south of Cambell Island on 13
January 1998, which were different from Sooty Shearwater, They had uniform
grey underside with short tail. Other people claimed that Short-tailed
shearwater are found around Cambell, and Hadoram Shirhai on board from
Eilat, Israel noted them as Short-tailed. I was confused, as they should not
be there.

Regards from NielsAt 17.11 08-05-98 +0800, you wrote:

>Did anyone see the short news story on the ABC last night about the
>breeding adult Short-tailed Shearwaters from Montague Island (wherever this
>is? Bass Strait?) which were fitted with sattelite transmitters and were
>recorded flying almost to Antarctica (15,000kms round trip in 15 days).  I
>knew that many albatross did feeding trips like this, but this is the first
>that I was aware that shearwaters also made these trips.

Niels Poul Dreyer
10/35-37 Denman camp Road
Scarness, Qld 4655
Telephone 0741 248132