birding-aus

White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrikes with black faces

Subject: White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrikes with black faces
From: David James <>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 17:33:27 +1000
Last week near Innisfail I saw White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike with a face
pattern very similar to that of a typical adult Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrike
of the humid north-eastern form. I have seen quite a few such birds in n.
Qld., mostly around Townsville, but a flock of eight or so was hanging
around N.E Herald Cay in the Coral Sea last June. They are more common than
dark-morph WBSC in n. Qld in my experience. This particualr BFCS-like
head-pattern is not dealt with in any of the contempory field guides. I
think there is much potential to miss-identify these WBCS as BFCS if
observers concentrate on face-pattern, as the field guides suggest.  To me,
these birds usually stand-out as WBCS by call and jizz, especially the
shorter wings and tail. I am looking into other differences like
wing-pattern and tail tip.

Has anyone seen these birds, or have any information about them?

Cheers,

David James
PO BOX 5225
Townsville Mail Centre 4810