birding-aus

Papaya Fruit Fly Control

Subject: Papaya Fruit Fly Control
From: Stan Emmerson <>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:23:18 +1000
Re comments on the canite blocks impregnated with malathion that the DPI put
in trees on all properties in the quarantine area and effects on birds.
Four of these blocks have been constantly renewed on our suburban block over
the last 18 months and have had no effect on the breeding birds in our area.
Two broods of Sunbirds (2 young each time) were successfully raised this
year as in other years under our verandah.  Mistletoe birds, Drongos, Black
Butcherbird (1 Brown & 1 black young in same nest), Willie Wagtail, Helmeted
Friarbirds, Peaceful Doves, Turtle Doves, Yellow Spotted, Dusky, Graceful &
Yellow Honeyeaters - all bred each year as per usual with no effects.  I was
initially worried when the officers put the blocks (50mm squares) up the
trees, but thankfully the only things that went missing from our yard and
nearby park were the fruit-fly, which were in great numbers 2 years ago.

Stan Emmerson
57 Benn Street
Cairns