birding-aus

Re: [UKBN] Ranking countries by risk of crime against birders

To: <>, <>, <>, <>
Subject: Re: [UKBN] Ranking countries by risk of crime against birders
From: "CAZ THOMAS" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:14:33 +0200
Dear John Wall

I would like to know why South Africa is listed as having a high risk of
crime against birders?  I know the US gvt advisory has a lot of scare stats
regarding risks to tourists and I also know that no distinction is made to
crime in cities as opposed to outside cities.
I also know that anyone, anywhere in the world is at risk if they flaunt
wealth in a major city.  However, I would be interested in some stats on
the number of birders attacked, robbed or kidnapped or worse in South
Africa.  I know of none and am involved with visiting birders from all over
the world on a regular basis.
Considering the wide circulation of your email - I find it alarming that
you have made such sweeping and damning comments.

I have copied my reply and your original message to the SAbirdnet, for
information and comment.

Caz Thomas
Cape Town, South Africa

----------
> To: ; ;

> Subject: [UKBN] Ranking countries by risk of crime against birders
> Date: 19 April 1998 21:05
>
> I think it might perhaps be helpful to try to categorize countries by the
risk of crime against
> birders.  It's very difficult to judge the danger from reading press
reports, since stories about crime
> don't distinguish between the crime that is unlikely to affect birders
and crime that might.  For
> example, Brazil is quite a safe country for birders, despite having the
second highest murder rate
> in South America after Colombia, and despite the fact that dude tourists
sometimes are mugged in
> touristy places that birders tend to avoid, such as downtown Foz do
Iguacu.  On the other hand,
> many ecotourists have been the victims of crime in Costa Rica and
Ecuador, which tend to receive
> more favorable press coverage than Brazil.  Reports out of Indonesia
might lead one to believe
> that a visitor would be subject to great danger of assault, but Indonesia
is one of the safest tropical
> countries in which to go birding.  On the other hand, neighboring Papua
New Guinea is one of the