birding-aus

No Gouldian finches

Subject: No Gouldian finches
From: (Jan England)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 09:50:32 +1000 (EST)
I have just returned from the Easter break where I camped with the NQ Nats
and BOCA at Georgetown.  The weather was hot and fine with pleasant
evenings.  A total of 131 species was seen over the period but despite the
efforts of 23 members visiting every known dam in the area not one Gouldian
Finch was seen.
Last year only 1 bird was found which now seems to indicate that they may
have disappeared from that area.

Because of the good wet season this year, all dams were full and most of the
waterbirds had young including Maned, Black and Plumed-whistling Ducks,
Darters, Australasian Grebes, Green Pygmy-geese as well as a Whistling Kite.

A bird list is available on request.