birding-aus

Re: Port Fairy - clarifications (longish).

To: Eric Hocking <>
Subject: Re: Port Fairy - clarifications (longish).
From: George Appleby <>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:38:06 -0816 (UTC)
Regarding the disputed Port Fairy/Tower Hill sightings,
I'll have to add a few points to other people's comments.

The nearest White-fronted Honeyeater record that I know of
is from Nelson (on the coast about 2 hours drive west of
Port Fairy)- this is probably noted in the Atlas of
Victorian Birds which is definitely worth consulting in
preference to field guide distribution maps. Dry country
birds such as this could possibly straggle down from the
Little Desert area to the north (I'm not sure how commoon
they are there).

Similarly, Variegated Wrens could possibly
(I'm very speculative here) make their way towards the
coast from  northward (ie Jilpanger Scrub) especially since
forest with heathy understorey is fairly widespread but
fragmented between Jilpanger and the coast. How Variegated
Wrens make it along the coast or more directly from areas
such as Jilpanger is a more difficult proposition as the
whole area around Warrnambool is one of the most cleared
and drained areas in Victoria, so little little suitable
connecting habitat is available.

As for Brown Booby, I would suggest that there would be a
few juvenile Australasian Gannets (and possibly Cape
Gannets or hybrids) around probably originating from
Lawrence Rocks near Portland. I'm not sure of the details
but I think the juvenile Cape Gannet (when still at the
nest) is significantly darker that similarly aged Aust.
Gannets. So, Brown Booby and juvenile Gannets could be
confused.

I hope this message isn't adding too much to the series of
replies to Eric's original trip report.

Cheers

George

George Appleby