birding-aus

Recent Hamilton highlights

Subject: Recent Hamilton highlights
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 98 09:55:52 -0400
G'day all

Recent highlights from Hamilton (sw Vic):

- Rainbow Lorikeets still common in town, first appeared in mid-March.
Rarely visited in the past although common in the Grampians to our north.

- Flocks of swans flying over from south west to north east.  Back in
June-July last year they were doing the opposite.  I watched for an hour
on Saturday (11/4) afternoon and counted ~200 in about 10 flocks.
Hopefully they are returning to Victorian because they know the lakes will
be filling up again.

- An immature Flame Robin on the southern edge of town (9/4).  These are
not common in the district.  A few are usually seen at this time of year
in a few regular locations.

- A spectacular white phase Grey Goshawk behind my house (11/4) and nearby
(14/5).  We regularly get Brown Goshawks and Sparrowhawks along the back
of our house but only a few times has the Grey Goshawk appeared.  All my
other records are of late April - June.

- 20-30mm of rain on the weekend was extremely welcome but we need much
more.

Cheers

Steve

Stephen Clark
Agriculture Victoria, Pastoral & Veterinary Institute
Private Bag 105  HAMILTON  3300  Australia
Phone 0355 730 977   Fax 0355 711 523