birding-aus

TIDAL FLAT PROTECTION DAY DECLARATION

Subject: TIDAL FLAT PROTECTION DAY DECLARATION
From: Julian Bielewicz <>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:34:36 +1000 (EST)
Folks:

I pass on the following message, received from the people in Japan still
struggling to preserve the few remaining local mudflats.  While I appreciate
that it will not always be totally relevant in geographical/species terms I
would hope that as ornithologists/environmentalists our specific interest
would transcend the obvious straits and take something like this onboard.

Julian
 <>
>Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:29:47 +0900
>To: (Recipient list suppressed)
>From:  (Rick Davis)
>Subject: TIDAL FLAT PROTECTION DAY DECLARATION
>
>TIDAL FLAT PROTECTION DAY DECLARATION

>1. April 14th shall be declared "Tidal Flat Protection Day"
>2. Cognizant of the value of tidal flats, we choose to protect and live
>together with tidal flats, so that no more of these precious ecosystems
>will be lost.
>
>On April 14th, 1997 at Isahaya Bay in the Ariake Sea (in Nagasaki
>Prefecture, Japan), 293 steel slabs were dropped into place, cutting off
>Isahaya Bay's 3,000 hectares of tidal flats from the sea. The moment this
>shocking scene was broadcast on national television, people were painfully
>struck with the unreasonableness of this kind of public investment, and the
>feeling that they were losing something valuable.
>        What people really mean when they say they want to "Save the
>Mudskippers of Isahaya Bay" is that they recognize the benefits resulting
>from the pursuit of life by the great diversity of wild creatures lying
>hidden in the mud flats (purification of the water, food for migratory
>birds, etc.), and the benefits of the tidal flats themselves (a spawning
>ground for fish, crabs, and other organisms which spend their adult lives
>in deeper waters, etc.).
>        Japan has ratified a number of international treaties such as the
>Ramsar Convention (Convention on Wetlands of International Importance,
>Especially as Waterfowl Habitat), bilateral migratory bird agreements, and
>the Biodiversity Convention. The international community expects Japan to
>live up to its promises to protect and wisely use its remaining important
>wetlands, particularly tidal flats. Moreover, in its National Biodiversity
>Strategy, the Japanese government has pointed to the need to preserve and
>protect wetlands.
>        In spite of this, and in the face of domestic and international
>censure, the Japanese government continues to embrace the contradictions of
>the Isahaya project and carry on with its construction, while pushing
>forward public works development destructive to natural tidal flat
>environments at Fujimae Tidal Flat in Ise Bay, Wajiro Tidal Flat in Hakata
>Bay, Sone Tidal Flat in Kitakyushu, Sanbanze Tidal Flat in Tokyo Bay, and
>the Yoshino River Estuary Tidal Flat in Shikoku. Tidal flat ecosystems are
>being threatened with extinction one after the other. If things continue in
>the direction they are now tending, it seems quite clear that in 50 years'
>time nearly all the tidal flat wetlands of international importance in
>Japan will have been wiped out.
>        The greatest issue of the twenty-first century will be the
>co-existence of humans with other living things. With this in mind, we are
>now calling for the conservation, preservation, and wise use of wetlands,
>particularly tidal flats, in Japan. Completion of the land reclamation
> [...]
Julian Bielewicz
Past President
Queensland Ornithological Society

12 Florence Street