birding-aus

Werribee Sewage Treatment Works

Subject: Werribee Sewage Treatment Works
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 20:51:34 +1000
Steady rain around Melbourne, Victoria made it difficult to bird anywhere
but at "The Farm".  There were Black-winged Stilts and Red-necked Avocets
at the ponds in Paradise Road as well as the largest number (about 35) of
Banded Stilts I have ever seen at Werribee.

Further north-east, Tania Ireton and Paul Taylor had the telescope trained
on the Red-necked Phalarope so that I did not have to get very wet before I
saw the distinctive behaviour and splendid colour on the neck of the bird.
The rain became heavier, I went back to the car and did not see the bird
again although I returned twice later in the day.

On an adjacent pond, I saw what I believe was my first Pectoral Sandpiper
in Australia, although I always doubt my recognition of difficult species
like this one.  Other possible sightings of interest were a Little Eagle
and a bedraggled Peregrine Falcon.  Three Black-tailed Native Hens were
near the ford over Little River  - the first time I have seen them in that
location.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia