birding-aus

Indonesian fires

Subject: Indonesian fires
From: Niels Poul Dreyer <>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 08:30:27 +1000 (EST)
Hi Folks

The latest news is that 50000 km2 of forest has gone up in smoke from
Eastern Kalimantan. The future for the great forests of Borneo has passed.
Most of the forest has now gone and the rest will probably go within this
year. History will remember this madness and that we did not care. The sixth
extinction will be the worst. We have governments who are more than willing
to help the Indonisian government and it cronies to overcome the financial
crisis. We are more than tolerant towards the overclass in I. can keep their
fortunes accummulated from stealing the national resources from thir own
people. There has been no outcry or demonstrations against this conspiracy.
The Australian government supports Soharto, and the IMF has not so far I
know attached any conditions on Land Management to its package. To dismantle
monopolies will not be enough, land management issues must also be
addressed. It will not be done as long this mob stays in power.

Hovewer the lack of response to the crisis, shows total lack of interest,
understanding for ecology. We do not care, and we do not understand ecology,
as the  destruction of nature does not directly affect our day-to-day lives
so there is no need to panic. I whish we could panic so we get into action
and boycot indonesian trade and stop helping them.
At least we should not help training the Indonesian military. Australia like
to walk tall with the Black Hat. Not to forget what we did in the greenhouse
debate.

I have grown up during the sixties and seventies and I miss the times we
were fighting for social justice and demonistrated against coruption.

Niels Poul Dreyer
Niels Poul Dreyer
10/35-37 Denman camp Road
Scarness, Qld 4655