birding-aus

Apology by Alexandra Appleman (virus free)

Subject: Apology by Alexandra Appleman (virus free)
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 14:25:48 +1000
On 31 August 1997 I published on 'birding-aus', a special-interest list on
electronic mail, an article entitled "Viper at the Nest."  in this article
I suggested that Marjorie Wisby abused the trust of 'birding-aus'
subscribers by the misuse of information supplied to her, for her own ends.
 The article also insinuated that Marjorie Wisby was a self-centred person
with little care for the welfare of Australian birds.

I also had published, on 3 September 1997, an article in the Townsville
Bulletin.  In that article I suggested that Ms Wisby had very little
knowledge about birding and was publishing misleading information regarding
population numbers of the Bush Stone Curlew (Burhinus grallarius) in the
north.

I acknowledge that the statements of a personal nature are incorrect and I
apologise for any trauma and distress these have caused.  I regret any
damage caused to Marjorie Wisby's reputation and standing in the local
community.

However, as a member of the Wader Study Group I do not feel I can be held
responsible for the lack of scientific knowledge in this complex area or
for the paucity of data available on bush stone curlew numbers.

Alexandra Appleman