birding-aus

Wagtail and Raptors

Subject: Wagtail and Raptors
From: David Siems <>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 98 09:35:17 +1000
 Hi Netters,
            The Wagtail was seen by more people 7/4. The front of the Lone
Star Tavern is the favorite place as the bird appears to feed on the crushed
peanut shells. I think the bird flys over to the swamp (100metrs) for a
drink as there appears to be no water nearby but is soon back. Also seen a
Black Bittern in the swamp.
            If driving from the south, heading north, along the Newcastle
Expressway, take the "Cardiff" turnoff and proceed for approx 4-5km to a
crossroad intersection with lights at Glendale, turn right, past the Ford
Dealer and after 150mtrs turn left at the roundabout and into the carpark.
If lost in Glendale any garage knows the Tavern.

            With raptors, whilst on a Atlas trip on the Border Downs sheep
station, on the NSW-SA border in 1989, I counted 27 Wedge-tailed Eagles in a
thermal. Is this the most for this species in one group?
            Also on the birding tours I take to Africa we manage around 25
to 28 species of raptors during the three weeks.

All the Best
David Siems
Sydney, Australia
Phone: +61 (0)2 9759 1891