birding-aus

Re: 10 raptor species in a 65km radius: an Oz record???

To: Alexandra Appleman <>
Subject: Re: 10 raptor species in a 65km radius: an Oz record???
From: (andy burton)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 10:12:16 +1000
>On Saturday 4 April Marleen Acton, John Maddy and myself travelled to
>Lucinda NQ to conduct a wader count. On the outward and return legs we
>noted the numbers and types of raptors seen along the Bruce Highway for the
>Birds Australia 'Birds of Prey' monitoring program; and also kept a log of
>all species seen throughout the day. We were totting up the total species
>seen (88) when we realised that we had observed 10 different raptors in a
>radius of 65km of Ingham.
>
>Is this an Australian record?  How many raptors were noted on Andy Anderson
>'Big Day Birding' and at what radius?  How many other countries can equal
>or better this?

>Cheers
>
>Alex Appleman
>Townsville.

Or maybe a list from suburban Sydney which, with the exception of the
Hobby, have all been seen during the past couple of years.

The municipality (City) of Willoughby lies about 6 km north-west of Sydney
Harbour Bridge and covers an area of 25-30 sq.km. It is mainly residential
having been heavily developed since the 1930s and includes an area of light
industry and has a major commercial centre where high rise buildings
predominate. There are the inevitable sporting and "dog-walking" reserves
but the area is fortunate in having fingers of native bushland along the
creeks and rivers. The area is bounded by a short section of the Lane Cove
River to the west and by part of Middle Harbour to the east.

My personal list is:

1.  Black-shouldered Kite
2.  Black Kite
3.  Whistling Kite
4.  Collared Sparrowhawk
5.  Brown Goshawk
6.  Grey Goshawk
7.  Osprey
8.  White-bellied Sea-eagle - nesting
9.  Brown Falcon
10. Nankeen Kestrel
11. Peregrine Falcon
12. Australian Hobby
13. Powerful Owl - resident
14. Southern Boobook (why can't I call this an owl?)

another resident has added

15. Pacific Baza &
16. Wedge-tailed Eagle also within the past two years.

A pretty good list from an avian backwater where approximately 50% of the
species have become locally extinct within the past 200 years. (No more
Bristlebirds, Emu-wrens, Beautiful Firetails etc.).

And of course none of this would have been possible without the constant
attention of the Noisy Miners giving their raptor warning calls. Even the
riff-raff has its uses!!!

regards to all, Andy Burton

Andy Burton
Andy Burton's Bush Tours