birding-aus

Great Raptor Sites

To: "" <>
Subject: Great Raptor Sites
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 16:33:42 +1000
G'day All,
Couldn't miss a challenge, so I totted up all the raptor species that
I've seen from the Postman's Track area of Lake Samsonvale,(less than
one hour's drive from central Brisbane) my local 'patch'  since 1987.
Only Sq-t Kite, Spotted Harrier, Grey Goshawk and Aus Kestrel have less
than 5 records.

All birds with asterisks have probably or are known to have bred on or
close to the lakes catchment area.

1.Pacific Baza (Aviceda subcristata)*
2.Square-tailed Kite (Lophoictinia isura)*
3.Australian Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus axillaris)*
4.Whistling Kite (Haliastur sphenurus)*
5.Brahminy Kite (Haliastur indus)
6.White-bellied Sea-eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster)*
7.Swamp Harrier (Circus approximans)
8.Spotted Harrier (Circus assimilis)
9.Grey Goshawk (Accipiter novaehollandiae)*
10.Brown Goshawk (Accipiter fasciatus)*
11.Collared Sparrowhawk (Accipiter cirrocephalus)*
12.Wedge-tailed Eagle (Aquila audax)*
13.Little Eagle (Hieraaetus morphnoides)*
14.Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)*
15.Brown Falcon (Falco berigora)*
16.Australian Kestrel (Falco cenchroides)
17.Australian Hobby (Falco longipennis)*
18.Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)*

I'm still waiting for Red Goshawk, though I think I had a glimpse of one
nearby at Mt Glorious a couple of years back!
Good Birding and Browsing
Tom Tarrant
Dayboro, Queensland