birding-aus

Re: Egg Collecting?

To: <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Re: Egg Collecting?
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 14:19:38 +0930
I grew up in the Murray Mallee districts of South Australia and bird egg
collecting was all the rage amongst the young boys of the area. Many
boasted quite considerable collections; swaps were a common practice.

I often viewed the collections of my cousins and friends with envy. That
was because I did not have a collecton of my own. The reasons were simple:
(1) I was terrible at climbing trees (even now I hesitate to scale a tree
in order to check the contents of a nest)
(2) I hated the thought of plunging my hand into a dark hollow - what might
lurk in the depths???
(3) I couldn't possibly think of blowing out the contents of an egg - how
repulsive!

I opted for a far more genteel hobby - and far more ecologically correct in
retrospect. I collected birds' feathers that I found lying around on the
ground. I sticky taped them into a spare exercise book. Parrots' feathers
were my most prized finds.

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge