birding-aus

hawaii

Subject: hawaii
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 06:47:33 +1000
Hello everyone,

I am just dropping a note to everyone to ask for advice in regards to
good locations in the Pacific Islands and in particular in the Hawaiian
Islands.

I have been lucky enough to have landed a job working on native Hawaiian
endemics, with the Biological Resources Division of the USGS, in the
Halakau National Wildlife Refuge on the windward side of Mauna Kea on
the main island of Hawaii. I'm due to start the end of April and it will
probably extend for four months. I'm keen to correspond with anyone who
might have been to Hawaii or who can suggest particularly good or easy
to access stopovers on the way. Chances are I will be fairly rushed
getting to Hawaii and so will have limited time available to stop over,
but I haven't decided yet. I'm planning on visiting all the Hawaiian
islands during my stay and while I suppose I will pick up info while I
am there I thought that Bird-aussers might have there own interesting
experiences or ideas on where to go.

Thanks everyone who responded with YFHE info. Everyone seems to agree
that some YFHE don't move while others do. There just doesn't seem to be
any conclusive proof of sedentary behaviour, just observations. There
has got to be a rewarding avenue of research for someone there. I wonder
whether if enough people submitted records of YFHE migration times and
directions a meaningful picture would develop.

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Todd,