birding-aus

Re: Deep breathers 2

Subject: Re: Deep breathers 2
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:21:09 +1100 (EST)
Oops! I just thought I'd clear up any potential confusion that my previous
message may have caused.

A large tidal volume is useful only during the pre- and post-dive periods
... a large intake of oxygen prior to a dive and expiration of large stores
of carbon dioxide upon surfacing again. However, the lungs and air-sacs can
also hold large volumes of respiratory gases during the dive as they slowly
diffuse across the respiratory surfaces in and out of the blood.

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Research Manager

Birds Australia (Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union)
Australian Bird Research Centre
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East,
VIC   3123.