birding-aus

Tell Tails

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Tell Tails
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:45:45 -0000
A quick note to say how useful Peter Lansley's recent posting was regarding
zoothera thrushes.  A couple of days ago, at O'Reilly's (SEQ), I observed
two Russet-tailed Thrushes (z. heinei) at close range.  The short tail was
very obvious, making the birds look quite 'stubby'.  Ten minutes later I was
watching a Bassian Thrush (z. lunulata) and the tail length stuck out like a
sore thumb - and about as long!  Other differences were noted.  The moral of
the story - sometimes you have to be told what you're looking at before you
see it.

PS (interesting)  On Saturday 21/3, at Sandstone Point, approx. 60k north of
Brisbane, there were 170 Pacific Golden Plover.  Never having seen more than
30 in the area before (I've been here just under a year) I presume this
means they're 'moving through'.

PS (garbage)  I'd guess that the bird that could hold it's breath longest
would be all forms of the Pat O'Malley Sharpie as they survive so
successfully in large numbers at Werribee SF.

Cheers - Trevor.