birding-aus

Extinct birds

Subject: Extinct birds
From: Andrew Peter Taylor <>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 09:35:15 +1000
I've been reading with much interest all the postings about
favourite/rarest/ugliest
birds and I thought I might add a few (all from within a few kms from my home
near
Nambour Qld...

1. White-headed Pigeons (so resplendent in their camphor laurel homes)
2. Spotless Crake (one bird that fraternises with oncoming traffic)
3. Pacific Baza (a truly magnificent bird and I wish I was as fortunate as
Lorne is to
see this bird so often)
4. Rainbow Lorikeets (when I wake up in the morning, just about the first thing
I hear
and see are RLs gutsing themselves on ripe guavas)
5. Brush Turkey (often seen on its afternoon stroll across the back yard)
6. Eastern Whipbird (for the unique voice)
7. Grey Butcherbird (is there a song to rival it?)
8. White-breasted Woodswallow (for the warm and fuzzy feeling one gets when
they come to
roost huddled together on the banks of the Maroochy River at Maroochydore)

Also, to settle a bet, would anybody know what is the most recently recognised
extinct
bird in the world (species, that is)?

Andrew Taylor
Rosemount