birding-aus

Re: introduced bird(er)s

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: introduced bird(er)s
From: Eric Hocking <>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:44:33 +1000
David Torr wrote:

>      Maybe if you grow up with this fantastic bird life you get used to it
>      and are less likely to be a keen birder than someone coming in from
>      outside who sees it as all new???

Personally, I'm even more keen on Oz birdlife _after_ visiting
elsewhere.  For instance, I'm starting to note species and numbers at
Albert Park Lagoon, this just from driving past the swans and ducks and
trying to figure the success of the broods.  And really, who hasn't seen
thousands of swans and black ducks - I still look and I go past the same
animals twice a day (3 times if I go for a cycle).

I'm in weekly email with a Welshman and we compared lists.  You'd not be
surprised to hear that his common sitings were
underlined/bolded/italicised/exclamation marked in my notes and vice
versa.
We did agree where our lists merged outside of our home country,
Africa.

Oh and we both call them Poms.

--
Eric Hocking "A closed mouth gathers no feet."
::   Melbourne, Australia   ::