birding-aus

lorne again

Subject: lorne again
From: lorne <>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:05:20 +0000
Hello birdos... Lorne here...

Thanks again for all the best and rarest bird lists etc. I didn't expect
to get such a reaction when I started the ball rolling.

I wanted to expand on why I chose my original eight...

1. PACIFIC BAZA - great characteristics (hanging upside down in trees,
mauling praying mantises, perching for ages), beautiful looks (the
yellow eye is like lemon jelly!) and the fact that they're the raptor
I'm most familiar with. I've seen more bazas than any other BOP.

2. SPOTLESS CRAKE - Resplendant contrast in colours, secretive habits,
only seen one once before (thanks Keith Brandwood!)

3. OWLET-NIGHTJAR - Cute call, hard to see though numerous, buoyant
flight, small stature.

4. GOLDEN BOWERBIRD - Beautiful plumage! The Liz Hurley of the bird
world! The honey colouring is awesome. Quiet, in ethereal mountain
settings. Intriguing bower, due to its size.

5. SOOTY OWL - Rather elusive. Have called it in. I adore it's call...
sends ripples down the spine! Amazing charcoal plumage, big eyes. Seen
them in the Devils Coachouse at Jenolan Caves, NSW, which is a huge
cavern - a spectacular natural-gothic setting!

6. FRIGATEBIRDS - Their bat-like silhouettes and glides.

7. RAINBOW BEE-EATER - Probably the most beautifully plumaged bird I've
ever seen!!!!

I can't remember what No.8 was! Runners up... Wedge-tailed eagle,
Blue-billed Duck, King Parrot, Bustard, Powerful Owl...

LGJ.