birding-aus

Re: [5] Identity of Scaly/White's Thrush in LamingtonNationa

To: <>
Subject: Re: [5] Identity of Scaly/White's Thrush in LamingtonNationa
From: "Peter S Lansley" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 12:04:03 +1100
> Date: Wednesday, 11 March 1998 18:04

> I hope this is all as clear as the back-end of a thrush in the forest on
> wet morning 10 minutes before sunrise?
>

> David James
> PO BOX 5225
> Townsville Mail Centre 4810

Interesting comment, David.

Because in this Zoothera lunulata/heinei ID debate, no one has mentioned a
character I thought was the most striking of all (other than calls/song) in
my recent reacquaintance with Z. heinei at Mt Glorious, se. Qld.

I refer to the significantly shorter tail of heinei. Can't remember the
measurements offhand (they're in Ford's 1983 Emu paper), but a minimum 11
mm difference in the longest heinei and the shortest lunulata, from memory
(95mm vs 106mm). This was quite discernable in the field - I had just seen
several Bassian in sw. Vic., only two or three weeks before, and it was the
first thing I noticed on the Mt Glorious bird.

Hope this is of interest.

Peter S. Lansley.
Melbourne.