birding-aus

Re: Bird ID

Subject: Re: Bird ID
From: Allan Burbidge <>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 22:06:53 +0800 (WST)
Hi Niven and others,
I've just been looking at Niven's notes on Broad-billed/Leaden Flycatcher ID.
I wasn't aware of all the features mentioned, but certainly it was
consistent with my (admittedly limited) experience in the Kimberley. Some of
the Broad-bills in the WA Museum have quite noticeable amounts of white
under the eye and lores.
At least for the Kimberley, the illustrations in Slater and in Simpson and
Day are little use in assisting in identification - in particular, female
Leadens from the Kimberley have darker lores than those illustrated, and
Broad-bills tend to have paler lores than those illustrated.
In my experience, female Leadens will frequently flick their tail vertically
when alighting, but Broad-bills rarely do so. Pizzey and Knight mention tail
flicking in Leadens, but don't contrast it with Broad-bills.
Any comments?
Cheers,
Allan
Allan Burbidge                http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~austecol/birds.html
E-mail     OR
                                     OR
Snail   PO Box 312, Wanneroo, Western Australia  6065
Tel/fax  + 61 (0)8 9306 1642