birding-aus

Re: Brown Cuckoo-Dove in NT

Subject: Re: Brown Cuckoo-Dove in NT
From: "Niven McCrie" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 13:58:30 +0000
Brown Cuckoo-Dove at Howard Springs, NT
If this was correctly identified it would be a first for the NT.
Unfortunately, as pointed out, it was not considered unusual so no
notes were taken. From that it would seem that the observation was
fairly casual, no heed given to consideration of other species.
It is worth a bit of effort to do homework before a trip to new
territory and it is worth reviewing birdlists regularly to see if
anything seems unusual. Whilst the bird may well have been completely
misidentified and was something local it is possible that it may have
been as claimed or one of the many dark large pigeons of Indonesia.
Whichever is the case, it is unlikely to be resolved.
Who should I report it to?

Anyone with records of unusual birds in the NT is urged to pass them
on to me, either by email, phone or post at the address below..
John Leonard wrote:
Looking at my note-book for our NT trip last July I see that I
recorded Brown Cuckoo-Dove from the monsoon forest at Howard Springs,
just outside Darwin.
Checking this I find that B C-Ds aren't supposed to found in the NT (I
just noted the bird at the time and wrote it down, assuming the they
were found all across northern Australia).
Niven McCrie
P.O. Box 41382
Casuarina 0811
Ph. 62 8 89451130