birding-aus

Re: Suitable Names

Subject: Re: Suitable Names
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:25:18 +1030
I can't agree 100% with Kieran Daly's protest.
I'm an ex Pom myself and know lots of other ex Poms and we frequently refer
to each other as Poms as a term of endearment, just as other groups use
other terms.
If you can't handle this without taking offence then it's your problem, not
the other users'. You mustn't expect everyone to toe the rigid non racist
line just because some people are offended and there happens to be some weak
legislation in place. Between themselves people must be allowed to refer to
each other in any way they wish, and if any offence is taken I'm sure they
can sort it out.
I'm sure David Torr meant no offence to anyone in yesterday's email.

Tony the ex Pom. ( been here 41 years, so you can call me whatever you like,
I promise not to take offence because I love you all )
Back to birding.

At 03:00 PM 12/03/98 +0900, you wrote:
>The word Pom is not an affectionate term but just another lazy type of
>racism and name calling. It would be nice to see contributors to
>Birding-Aus not use such words.
>--
>Kieran Daly

Tony Russell