birding-aus

Atherton SW/Large-billed SW

Subject: Atherton SW/Large-billed SW
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:05:47 +1100 (EST)
My experience with Atherton SWs is limited to one afternoon on Mt Lewis.
However I did have a good look at them at the time, and there were
Large-billed SWs around also, and I didn't have much trouble with them.

One feature which seemed to distinguish them is that the Atherton SW has a
dark area at the 'elbow' of its wing, formed by the primary coverts, which
has a very delicate white pattern on it (the feathers forming the two (?)
rows of the primary coverts are tipped white). The Large-billed SW has a
darker patch on the wing here, but not nearly so well-defined and with no
white in it.

Of the field guides Day has it very well, but Knight (in Pizzey) and Slater
both seem rather poor on this species.

And in case you're wondering, yes I did have very close views of the
Athertons, what Phil Hansbro would call 'reverse binocular' views; one
hopped over my foot.

John Leonard (Dr),
PO Box 243,
Woden, ACT 2606

'Nature always withdraws her gifts sooner or
later.'                    Fernand Braudel

http://www.spirit.net.au/~jleonard