birding-aus

Re: Wagtails at Kooragang

To: Tony Russell <>,
Subject: Re: Wagtails at Kooragang
From: Alan McBride <>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 19:54:02 +1100
Dear Birding Aus,

I guess nitpicker means me, particularly as Mr Russell wrote to me privately
in what in internet netiquette terms is SHOUTING.

My reason for stating that "this is getting worse" is the rather matter of
fact description of a rarity, White Wagtails in this case, all of a sudden
becoming Yellow Wagtails (still a rarity),  in a note to Birding Aus that
failed to mention a specific locality for such a rarity. When read in the
context of the note as it appeared on Birding Aus it seemed to indicate it
was at Cann River, Victoria ( I know it says the same NSW/ VIC trip) without
any further comment or detail!

While a note came out with Correction there was no comment or evidence to
suggest the identification was correct then and no locality stated (still)
for this rarity.

That is all.

I am sorry Mr Russell if you have to SHOUT to make your point privately, but
please have the grace to let everyone know your thoughts on the original
recipient list (apart from some sort of expletive in parentheses below -
obviously aimed at my good self), then I wouldn't have to go to the trouble
of defending what is a perfecty innocuous question on a chat line.

Good Birding

Alan

>I'm sorry that my original posting stated white wags, but the error was
>corrected within 10mins to the yellow (with white eyebrow) following a phone
>call from a HELPFUL person, and the second posting was headed CORRECTION.
>I can't imagine why this wasn't acceptable to the complainant.
>It was bad enough having to make the correction without having a nitpicker
>add to my problem.
>(#*#??!!**)
>TR.
>Tony Russell
>Ph: 08 82078470W
>    08 83375959H
>Fax:08 82078422
>e mail:

Alan McBride
P O Box 190
Newport Beach
NSW 2060
Australia

Home Tel:       + 61 2 9973 1536                / Business  Tel:        + 61 2
9922 1411
Home Fax        + 61 2 9973 2306                / Business  Fax:        + 61 2
9929 5789
Home e-mail            / Business e-mail