birding-aus

Still on about Ravens

Subject: Still on about Ravens
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:57:26 +1000 (EST)
It took me a while to get this raven thing sorted out, and I still find
plenty of birds which are tricky.  I think that we need a good, clear
article about Raven ID before we all start tallying our birds for the next
atlas.  Perhaps someone could offer something in Wingspan, Hugo?

One of the things that I used to find annoying was that LRs do the 'death
call' (fading descending call) as well as AR, except that it sounds a bit
more sinister (?!) in the AR, which is more of a tenor voice (sorry to the
non-musos out there).  I spent my first few months in Geelong adding 'AR'
to lots of trip lists before I had the chance to hear the AR again
properly - the birds had all been LRs of course (Sorry,  you
WERE right!!).

Anyway, the difinitive ID guide to Aussie corvids is waiting to be
written, it would seem.  Someone please take up the challenge.

Bye

Russell Woodford
Geelong Vic