birding-aus

[WADERS-L:339] breeding success in 1997

Subject: [WADERS-L:339] breeding success in 1997
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:15:49 +1100 (EST)
For the interest of the list, a message forwarded from WADERS-L:

>From: Pat and Clive Minton <>
>Subject: [WADERS-L:339] breeding success in 1997
>Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 09:43:34 +0200
>
>                  WADER BREEDING SUCCESS IN 1997
>
>Further to my note of 10/1/98 on waders-l the Victorian Wader Study Group
>now has some data on additional species, as given in the table below.
>
>THE PERCENTAGE OF JUVENILE BIRDS IN WADERS CAUGHT IN VICTORIA AND
>      SE SOUTH AUSTRALIA IN JAN/FEB 1998
>
>Species        %juveniles      Sample size             Classification of
>                                                       breeding success
>

>Sanderling     31%             232                     Very good
>Turnstone      41%             240                     Very good
>Red Knot       58%             64                      Very good
>Bartailed
>Godwit         0%              28                      Poor
>Great Knot     10%             20                      Poor to moderate
>
>This data further suggests that 1997 may have been a 'patchy' breeding
>season in the Eastern Siberian arctic - neither universally good nor
>totally poor.
>Attempts will be made to obtain further, larger samples of Red Knot,
>Bartailed Godwit and Great Knot at another location during the next week.
>Clive Minton & Ros Jessop
>(on behalf of the Victorian Wader Study Group)

Hugo Phillipps,
Birds Australia Conservation & Liaison,
Australian Bird Research Centre,
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East, VIC 3123, Australia.
Tel: (03) 9882 2622. Fax: (03) 9882 2677.
O/s: +61 3 9882 2622. Fax: +61 3 9882 2677.
Email: <>
Web Homepage: http://www.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus