birding-aus

Birds on chimneys

To: <>
Subject: Birds on chimneys
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 22:22:09 +1030
Ian Temby has suggested a new thread for discussion, namely "Birds on
chimneys".

Several years ago I had terrible trouble with House Sparrows nesting inside
the chimney of our pot-belly stove. Every time we had a problem with smoke
inside or the fire not drawing, I knew it was time to haul out the ladder,
climb up on the roof and remove the offending nesting material.

On several occasions the dry grass used by the sparrows had become charred,
so we were living dangerously! (Must have been snug and warm for the
sparrows too!) A simple solution of some wire netting has prevented a
repeat performance, thankfully.

On at least one occasion the nest contained eggs. I did not check to see if
they were cooked.

Trevor Hampel,
Murray Bridge